Vote With Your Wallet
One of the biggest ways you can help our planet is to buy environmentally-friendly products.
Consumer demand can be a powerful force – encouraging companies to switch to more sustainable production practices and sell more environmentally-friendly products.
Choose the greenest option
A large number of environmentally-friendly and/or sustainably produced products are now available.
Look out for:
- Items with recycled content. In particular, choose recycled toilet paper, kitchen towels, napkins and handkerchiefs.
- Sustainably sourced wood, paper and tissue products. Make sure that any products made from new timber or virgin timber fibers - from garden chairs to paper and envelopes to tissues and toilet paper - carry the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) label.
- Sustainably produced food. When you shop or dine out, let your retailer or restaurant know that you want food that has been produced in an environmentally-friendly and socially beneficial way. Tell your retailers you want to buy:
- Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) certified seafood
- Aquaculture Stewardship Council (ASC) certified farmed seafood
- Products made with:
Encourage retailers, restaurants and your favorite brands to get involved with efforts to advance sustainable food production and support the development of standards and certification, like the Global Roundtable for Sustainable Beef.
- Palm oil certified by the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO)
- Sugar certified by Bonsucro
- Soy certified by the Roundtable on Responsible Soy (RTRS)
- Energy-efficient appliances and equipment. If you’re buying a washing machine, refrigerator, dishwasher or oven, buy the most energy-efficient model you can afford. The same goes for office equipment like computers, copiers and printers. Learn More